Sunday 22 September 08:50 PM
Setting realistic time frames for your goals 💭 PART 1/3.
Are you someone who has a goal, has a plan in place, and then struggles to actually move towards it?
If you are, here are a couple of things you can do to mentally set up a more realistic timeframe for yourself outside of the obvious “just be patient” - yeah we get it but give me something I can work with right now! 😒😂 These are all journalling based exercises (you know me luvs a journal) so grab a notebook and pen ✍🏼 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Strategy 1 ~ The 5 Whys ~ Write down your goal, then ask yourself “Why do I want to achieve this goal?”. Write down your first why. Then ask WHY? 4 more times. For example, a goal of mine is to study Dietetics.
1. “WHY do I want to study Dietetics?” - Because I want people to see me as someone who knows what they’re talking about, a “professional”. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. “WHY do you want to be viewed as a qualified professional?” - Because you’re taken more seriously and treated with more respect when you have a bunch of letters after your name.
3. “WHY do you want to be taken more seriously and treated with respect?” - because I know I know what I'm talking about and I want other people to know that too ~ “They don’t knnnow that we know they know we know” 💁🏼♀️ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. “WHY wouldn’t people know that?” - Because everyone and their mum is a coach these days lol.
5. “Is there another way you can go about that?” - for this reason specifically, yes! This is something I could [have] change my mindset about 100% (people still see higher education as the pinnacle of knowledge and authority on a topic) but maybe I can re-think my priorities and see if I still really want to go back to uni 💁🏼♀️ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is just an example and obviously that’s just one reason I have that specific goal, but can you see how this can uncover why you reeeeeeally want to achieve that goal instead of “I just want to help people”. This can, in turn, give you more clarity on your goal and help you set more realistic expectations of it OR realise you’re doing something for the wrong reason and could find a better way.